President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he will not nominate acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan to hold the position in a permanent capacity. He said Army Secretary Mark Esper will become acting Defense secretary. Earlier on Tuesday, Shanahan released a statement related to a 2010 domestic violence incident involving him and his ex-wife that was reportedly under FBI scrutiny. Shanahan was not charged with any crime and has denied hitting his ex-wife.
U.S. Secret Service Director Randolph Alles is soon to be out of his job. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement that Alles “has done a great job at the agency over the last two years, and the President is thankful for his over 40 years of service to the country.” In a message to the Secret Service workforce Monday, Alles insisted that he had not been fired. The Secret Service chief’s ouster comes less than a day after the announcement that Kirstjen Nielsen, Trump’s secretary of Homeland Security, will also be leaving the administration.
Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen submitted her resignation to President Donald Trump Sunday. Nielsen will stay until April 10 “to assist with an orderly transition and ensure that key DHS missions are not impacted,” she stated on Twitter. The president had been refusing to believe Nielsen couldn’t make the worsening border numbers go down herself and had been holding her personally responsible for the numbers, a source said. Kevin McAleenan, the current U.S. Customs and Border Protection commissioner, will become the acting secretary for DHS, Trump announced on Twitter.
Top White House officials pushed a plan to share nuclear technology with Saudi Arabia, despite objections from career national security staff, according to a new congressional report. The report from the House oversight committee said that whistleblowers within the Trump administration have come forward to warn about the proposed nuclear power deal, which could violate the law. The Democratic-controlled committee has launched an investigation into the whistleblowers’ claims, its chairman, Maryland representative Elijah Cummings, said Tuesday.
A Georgia man was charged Wednesday with plotting a terrorist attack on the White House, after he allegedly told an undercover FBI agent he “wanted to do as much damage as possible” and hoped to be a martyr, according to court papers. Hasher Jallal Taheb, 21, is accused of attempting to damage or destroy the White House by means of fire or an explosive, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Atlanta. The court papers said the FBI began investigating Taheb in March, when an unidentified citizen told law enforcement officials that he had “become radicalized.”
President Trump announced on Sunday that he will replace James Mattis as Defense Secretary at the beginning of 2019 two months earlier than planned. Trump announced that Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan will take Mattis’ place. The replacement comes after Mattis announced his resignation on Thursday saying his views were not aligned with Trump’s.
Defense Secretary James Mattis resigned on Thursday after President Trump’s sudden withdrawal of US troops from Syria. Mattis wrote a resignation letter advising Trump to replace him with someone ‘whose views are better aligned with yours.’ Mattis will close out a 2-year working relationship with Trump remaining in his position until February 28, 2019.
With John Kelly leaving his post by the end of the year President Trump said he will make a decision ‘soon’ on a new chief of staff. Nick Ayers the leading candidate to replace Kelly announced on Sunday that he will not take the position. Ayers and Trump were reportedly unable to agree on terms.
After nearly two years in the post, Nikki Haley announced her resignation from her position as US ambassador to the UN. Haley did not provide an explanation for her departure. President Trump appeared alongside Haley during her announcement and said she did ‘an incredible job.’ Trump said a replacement will be named within three weeks.
The White House gave authorization to the FBI to interview anyone deemed necessary to expand the investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. President Trump said the FBI can interview ‘anybody they want, within reason.’ The expansion followed criticism by Democrats that the White House was limiting the investigation.