At least two students have been killed and three more injured after a 16-year-old suspect opened fire at a southern California high school, the latest deadly school shooting to hit the US. Six injured students, including the suspect, were recovered at the scene. The fatalities include a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy. Two girls, ages 14 and 15, and a 14-year-old boy remain hospitalized, officials said.
Four people were killed and five others wounded after two suspects entered a bar and opened fire in Kansas City, Kansas, early Sunday, police said. Authorities believe that there might be two suspects who entered the bar and began shooting based on witness accounts. The four people who died were all Hispanic males, who ranged in age from mid-20s to late-50s.
The shooter who opened fire after a routine traffic stop Saturday in West Texas, killing 7 people and injuring 22 more, was fired just hours before the deadly shootings. Seth Aaron Ator, 36, who lived in the Odessa area, had been fired from his job at Journey Oilfield Services after a disagreement. Federal law enforcement officials say Ator called a national tip line on Saturday just before his encounter with troopers.
President Trump is traveling on Wednesday to El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio — the sites of deadly mass shootings this past weekend. Local leaders are greeting the consoler-in-chief with skepticism but hope the president will hear them out. Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley, a Democrat, told reporters on Tuesday that she was “disappointed” with Trump’s response so far and with his failure to push for stricter gun laws.
Over less than 13 hours and nearly 1,600 miles apart, two mass shootings this weekend left at least 29 dead and 53 injured. On Saturday morning, a gunman opened fire into a crowd at an El Paso, Texas, retail area that is popular among both local residents and shoppers from just across the southern border with Mexico. Then early Sunday, a shooter attacked a crowd outside a popular bar in Dayton, Ohio, as patrons were enjoying a night out.
A gunman cut through a fence to avoid security and opened fire at Northern California’s popular Gilroy Garlic Festival, killing three and wounding at least 15 before police fatally shot him as terrified people and performers ran for cover. He appeared to randomly target people when he opened fire just after 5:30 p.m. Sunday, the conclusion of the three-day festival that attracts more than 100,000 people to the city known as the “Garlic Capital of the World.”
The Florida deputy who knew a gunman was loose at the Parkland high school but refused to go inside to confront the assailant was arrested Tuesday on 11 criminal charges related to his inaction during the massacre that killed 17 people. Scot Peterson was on duty as the resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on the day of the February 2018 shooting but never entered the building while bullets were flying. He was charged with child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury — allegations that carry a maximum prison sentence of nearly 100 years.
A city engineer in Virginia Beach who killed 12 people in a shooting rampage at work had submitted his resignation letter earlier that day, a city official said Sunday. Virginia Beach City Manager Dave Hansen said DeWayne Craddock, 40, sent his two-weeks notice in an email Friday morning. Virginia Beach Police Chief James Cervera said investigators were looking as “deep as we can” into Craddock’s personal and professional life to figure out a motive.
Two students opened fire Tuesday inside a charter school in an affluent suburb of Denver not far from Columbine High School, killing a teenager, wounding eight and spreading minutes of terror before they were taken into custody with no injuries, authorities said. Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spurlock said the pair walked into the STEM School Highlands Ranch and began shooting students in two classrooms. Within minutes, deputies at a nearby sheriff’s department substation entered the school and arrested the two suspects after a struggle.
A 19-year-old man accused of opening fire on Sabbath worshippers in a deadly shooting rampage at a Southern California synagogue is believed to have acted alone, without help from any organized group, authorities said on Sunday. Police say the gunman walked into the suburban San Diego synagogue late on Saturday morning, the last day of the week-long Jewish holiday of Passover, and killed one woman and wounded three other people inside, using an assault-style rifle. According to authorities, the suspect, John Earnest, then fled in a car before calling police to hand himself in.