More than 500 boys and young men have been rescued after they were chained to walls, beaten up and sexually assaulted in an Islamic school in northern Nigeria. The raid in Katsina was the third such operation in less than a month, bringing the total of people freed from abusive conditions to around 1,000. The youngest victims were around five years old, and the oldest were in their late teens.
Nigerian police have freed 19 pregnant women from properties in Lagos, which they describe as “baby factories”. Most of the women had been abducted “for the purpose of getting them pregnant and selling the babies”, a police statement said. Police said that male babies would be sold for $1,400 (£1,100) and the females for $830. They added that the children were to be trafficked, but it is not clear who or where the potential buyers were.
At least 30 people have been killed in a triple suicide attack in northeast Nigerian state of Borno, state emergency officials said on Monday, in the biggest mass killing this year by suicide bombers. Earlier the village head, Bulama Kalli, said three suicide bombers had taken part in the attack, targeting a place where villagers had gathered to watch a soccer match on a large screen. No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Rescuers combed through the rubble early Thursday after at least eight people were killed and as many as 100 children feared trapped when a building housing a school collapsed in Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos. While awaiting official rescue efforts, many locals and passersby began their own attempts to free people from the debris, using their bare hands to shift slabs of concrete. Residents of the area said about 100 children attended the school, which was on the third floor of the building. The structure also housed offices, shops and residential units.
Three oil workers have been kidnapped from a Nigerian oil rig. Gunmen raided the Niger Delta Petroleum Resources rig in Ogbele on Saturday morning, according to a spokesman for the area’s military operations, Major Ibrahim Abubakar. The three people kidnapped were from the UK, Nigeria and Canada. Most of Nigeria’s crude oil comes from the Delta region but authorities have struggled with gangs and armed groups that are demanding a greater share of the profits. Saturday’s abductions are the second in less than a week – on Thursday, two Royal Dutch Shell workers were taken and their police escorts were killed.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari won a second term at the helm of Africa’s largest economy and top oil producer, the electoral commission chairman said on Wednesday, following an election marred by delays, logistical glitches and violence. Buhari faces a daunting to-do list, including reviving an economy still struggling to recover from a 2016 recession and quelling a decade-old Islamist insurgency that has killed thousands of people in the northeast, many of them civilians.
At least 86 people died in central Nigeria following violent clashes between farmers and cattle herders on Saturday. Reports say the decades-long history of violence between ethnic groups was sparked when Berom farmers attacked Fulani herders on Thursday. President Muhammadu Buhari said ‘no efforts will be spared’ to find the attackers and prevent further attacks.
As part of an exchange for detained suspects held by the Nigerian authorities from the Boko haram militant group, 82 of the nearly 300 schoolgirls kidnapped years ago has been released on Saturday. The released girls were expected to arrive in the Nigerian capital Abuja on Sunday to meet the country’s president. The mass abduction which took place in April 2014 in the town of Chibok, Nigeria, attracted wide international attention and inspired the #BringBackOurGirls movement.