The main suspect in the Christchurch attacks in March, has pleaded not guilty to all charges. Brenton Tarrant is charged with the murder of 51 people, 40 counts of attempted murder and one terrorism charge in New Zealand’s deadliest peace time mass shooting. The suspect was arrested on 15 March for his alleged involvement in the shootings at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Islamic Centre, both located in Christchurch.
The Duke of Cambridge has met survivors of the Christchurch mosque attacks, in which 50 people were killed in March. The duke also met some of the officers and medics who were among the first at the scene of the shootings. Later, the prince had a private meeting with Muslim community leaders, thanking them for bringing the community together after the tragedy. Prince William is traveling on behalf of the Queen at the request of Ms Ardern.
Less than one month after a gunman killed 50 people in an attack on two mosques in Christchurch, the New Zealand Parliament voted Wednesday to ban most semi-automatic and military-style weapons. The law makes it illegal to possess the prohibited weapons in New Zealand. The bill, which passed 119-1, will become law by the end of the week, the New Zealand news site Stuff reported. The one dissenter, David Seymour of the ACT Party, criticized the speed at which lawmakers had moved without public input.
The Australian man who carried out the Christchurch massacre has been charged with 50 counts of murder and 39 counts of attempted murder. New Zealand Police announced the fresh charges against Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, in a written statement on Thursday afternoon. The former personal trainer stormed two mosques in Christchurch with a number of high-powered weapons and live streamed the attack online, in what is alleged to be the single-worst terrorist attack carried out by an Australian.
New Zealand came together in a national day of reflection Friday to mark a week since the mass shootings at two Christchurch mosques that killed 50 people. The Muslim Call to Prayer was broadcast on national television at 1:30 p.m. local time, followed by two minutes of silence to remember those who lost their lives in the terrorist attack. As the Muslim community gathered to pray and mourn, hundreds of non-Muslims stood around the perimeter of the site in solidarity.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Thursday announced the country was immediately banning “military-style semi-automatic weapons” after last week’s attack that killed 50 people at two mosques. Ardern said the government is working on a large-scale buyback plan for citizens possessing the weapons affected by the ban. Those who still possess banned guns after a “reasonable period for returns” has passed will be found breaking the law, Ardern said.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Monday she would announce new gun laws within days, after a lone gunman killed 50 people in mass shootings at two mosques in the city of Christchurch. Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was charged with murder on Saturday. “Within 10 days of this horrific act of terrorism we will have announced reforms which will, I believe, make our community safer,” Ardern told a news conference after her cabinet reached in principle decisions on gun reform laws in the wake of New Zealand’s worst ever mass shooting.
At least 49 people were killed and 20 seriously injured in mass shootings at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch Friday, in a carefully planned and unprecedented attack that has shocked the usually peaceful nation. New Zealand’s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, called the incident a terrorist attack in a Friday press conference, saying the suspects held “extremist views” that have no place in New Zealand or the world.
The New Zealand man accused of murdering British backpacker Grace Millane has pleaded not guilty at Auckland High Court. The 26-year-old, whose identity remains protected by New Zealand law, will face trial on 4 November. Ms Millane, from Wickford in Essex, had begun a year-long journey around the world in October – starting in South America – and arrived in New Zealand on 20 November. She disappeared on Saturday 1 December, the night before her 22nd birthday.
New Zealand police found what they believed to be the body of 22-year old British backpacker Grace Millane on Sunday after Millane went missing on December 1st. Police reported on Saturday that a man last seen with Millane in Auckland will be charged in her death. New Zealand’s prime minister Jacinda Ardern apologized to the family of Grace Millane on behalf of the whole of New Zealand saying: “Your daughter should have been safe here, and she wasn’t, and I’m sorry for that.”