A Kenyan court on Wednesday convicted three people of terrorism-related offences for helping Somali Islamist militants carry out a 2015 attack on a university that killed 148 people, most of them students. Al Shabaab jihadists stormed Garissa University on April 2, 2015 and sought to kill Christian students in particular. Al Shabaab has carried out frequent attacks in Kenya to press it to pull its troops out of the African Union peacekeeping force in neighboring Somalia.
Hundreds of air passengers were stranded Wednesday in Kenya because of a strike at Nairobi’s international airport by the Kenya Aviation Workers Union. The union said in a statement that the strike was over the proposed takeover of the Kenya Airport Authority, that runs airports, by the country’s loss-making airline, Kenya Airways. It demanded the removal of the top management of Kenya Airways and the Kenya Airport Authority. Kenya’s military took over screening and security services at the airport following the strike.
The death toll from an extremist attack on a luxury hotel and shopping complex in Nairobi climbed to 21, plus the five militants killed, police said Wednesday in the aftermath of the brazen overnight siege by al-Shabab gunmen. Of the civilian victims, 16 were Kenyan, one was British, one was American and three were of African descent but their nationalities were not yet identified, police said.
Armed men burst into a hotel complex in Nairobi with gunfire and explosions, killing at least 14 people in an attack that lasted hours and ended Wednesday morning, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said. The coordinated attack started Tuesday afternoon local time at the DusitD2 compound, an upmarket cluster of shops and hotel facilities in the capital of Nairobi. Somali Islamist militant group Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
At least 44 people were killed in Kenya after heavy rains caused the Patel dam to burst, sweeping away homes and leaving more than 2,000 people homeless. According to the Kenyan Red Cross, over 500 families were caught in the deluge, with 36 hospitalized and many unaccounted for. Local leaders are investigating the dam’s legality.
Kenya’s Supreme Court paved the road for the inauguration of President Uhuru Kenyatta’s second term when they dismissed two petitions to overturn the presidential vote. The unanimous decision to uphold the election results provoked both violent oppositional outbursts and celebrations. Kenyatta’s opponent, Raila Odinga, fled Kenya for Tanzania, Sunday night, amid unrest.
After annulling President Uhuru Kenyatta’s victory in August due to procedural irregularities, Thursday’s re-election was dominated by aggressive opposition boycott. Kenyatta will likely be victorious once again through mandate compromised by procedural flaws and low turnout. Legal challenges and violence expected as the election commission and judges have acknowledged the re-elections shortcomings.
President Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya won the presidential election on Friday, being re-elected with 54% of the vote. Mr. Odinga, the opposition, holds to the fact that the election was in fact rigged and that he is the rightful winner. Shortly after Kenyatta’s victory, violence erupted in a few cities, police officers equipped with riot gear headed to Nairobi and Kisumu where tear gas was used and live bullets were fired at protesters, according to witnesses.
After the re-election, Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta was declared victorious on Monday. While Kenyatta supporters claim the repeat victory proves overall national backing of the President, opposition supporters assert they have been twice duped by an unfair process. Opposition leader Raila Odinga withdrew from re-election collecting very few votes despite remaining on the ballot.
Kenya’s election board is put under blame by the country’s supreme court for failing to verify the official results of last month’s presidential election. Earlier this month, the court annulled the result of the poll that saw Uhru Kenyatta winning by 1.4 million votes. Yesterday’s ruling states that the board has announced the result with thousands of forms still not been available for inspection. A fresh presidential vote has been ordered for October 17 after the opposition leader challenged the original result.