Joe Biden has formally raised the US cap on refugee admissions to 62,500 this year, weeks after facing bipartisan blowback for his delay in replacing the record-low ceiling set by Donald Trump. The move was a stark turnaround from the Biden’s administration’s previous announcement last month that it would keep the number of refugees admitted to the US at the historical low of 15,000, sparking widespread outrage.
President Trump announced on Sunday that those who cross into the US illegally should be sent back immediately without due process or appearance before a judge. Trump said the US ‘cannot accept all of the people trying to break into our country.’ Immigration advocates pushed back on Trump’s comments, calling the suggestion illegal and unconstitutional.
President Trump reversed his stance that he had no power to stop the separation of undocumented immigrant families on Wednesday when he signed an executive order to keep children and parents together. The order does not address the families already separated by the policy. Trump said, ‘the border is just as tough.’
President Trump on Thursday unveiled a long-awaited immigration overhaul that would dramatically alter how the U.S. accepts people into the country, upending the system in order to favor admissions based on merit rather than family ties. The proposal would judge immigrants with a points-based system that would favor high-skilled workers — accounting for age, English proficiency, education and whether the applicant has a well-paying job offer. Currently, only about 12 percent of immigrants are admitted based on employment and skills, while 66 percent are admitted based on family connections inside the U.S.
First Lady Melania Trump’s parents became naturalized US citizens in a ceremony in New York City on Thursday. The First Lady’s parents completed a year-long immigration process amid calls from President Trump for new laws barring Americans from sponsoring parents or other relatives. President Trump has repeatedly denounced this process, calling it ‘chain migration.’
Thomas Homan, the acting director of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, announced on Monday that he will retire from his post in June. Homan is stepping down less than six months after being nominated to the post by President Trump. As acting director of the agency, Homan has been a fierce defender of the Trump administration’s immigration policies.
Fallout from President Trump’s controversial immigration comments last week continues, as the possibility for a spending and immigration deal by the end of the week seems unlikely, raising the potential of the government shutdown. Trump claimed, Monday, Senator Dick Durbin ‘totally misrepresented’ his comments. Targeted countries, including South Africa, stand in diplomatic protest of Trump’s ‘disturbing’ comments.
President Donald Trump announced Thursday he is backing down from his effort to include a citizenship question on the 2020 census, and will instead take executive action that instructs the Commerce Department to obtain an estimate of U.S. citizenship through other means. The announcement brings to a close weeks of escalating confusion within the government over his demands that the controversial question be included in the census despite a Supreme Court order that had blocked the move.
The Senate began an open-debate on immigration, Monday, giving senators the opportunity to build a bill from scratch. The historic debate, expected to last throughout the week, will affect the future of legal immigration and 11 million undocumented immigrants, as President Trump plans to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program next month.
President Donald Trump said on Tuesday his new U.S. immigration ban would last 60 days and apply to those seeking ‘green cards’ for permanent residency in an effort to protect Americans seeking to regain jobs lost because of the coronavirus. Trump plans to institute the ban through an executive order, which he said he was likely to sign on Wednesday.