The Hong Kong Centre for Health Protection announced, Wednesday, the identification of the first human case of avian influenza A (H7N4), or the bird flu. The case was found in a 68-year old woman, living in eastern China, who had contact with poultry before experiencing pneumonia-like symptoms on December 25th. She has now recovered.
Five Michigan officials have been charged, including the head of the state’s health department for involuntary manslaughter after an 85 year old man, Robert Skidmore, died due to the Legionnaire’s disease in Flint, Michigan. Despite outbreaks of cases of the disease in 2014 and 2015, no warnings were issued until early 2016. Prosecutors have concluded that Mr. Skidmore and 11 others who perished due to the water, were a product of involuntary manslaughter.
The bacteria which is responsible for Legionnaires Disease, Legionella, was found in the water at an NYC police station after reports of an officer who fell ill were investigated by the health department. The contamination was found at the 23rd Precinct station house on East 102nd Street in East Harlem. In 2015, 12 people were killed and 128 got sick due to an outbreak of Legionnaires disease in South Bronx; the largest outbreak on record in the city.