About 600 people are now reported to have died in clashes between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the mountain enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh. The contested territory’s military said 16 more of its service people were killed in fighting on Tuesday – bringing the total number of those killed to 532 since fighting started on 27 September. Azerbaijan is yet to disclose its military fatalities – but authorities reported that 42 civilians had been killed.
A Russian-brokered humanitarian ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh was under severe strain on Sunday a day after it was agreed, with Azerbaijan and Armenia accusing each other of serious violations and crimes against civilians. The ceasefire, clinched after marathon talks in Moscow advocated by President Vladimir Putin, was meant to halt fighting to allow ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh and Azeri forces to swap prisoners and war dead.
Russian President Vladimir Putin and France’s Emmanuel Macron have called for an immediate ceasefire between ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh and Azerbaijan, as the official death toll passed 100 and the two sides said they would continue fighting. The two sides are engaged in the heaviest fighting in years over Karabakh, an ethnic Armenian province that broke away from Azerbaijan in the 1990s when the Soviet Union collapsed.