A bomb exploded in a mosque in eastern Afghanistan during Friday prayers, officials said, killing at least 29 men who had gathered for worship. Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the provincial council in Nangarhar, said at least 29 people had been killed and more than 100 others wounded. “The number of casualties may rise as the rescue team and people are working to bring out the bodies from the rubble,” Qaderi added.
A US drone strike intended to hit an Islamic State hideout in Afghanistan has killed at least 30 civilians who were resting after harvesting pine nuts. Afghanistan’s defense ministry and a senior US official in Kabul confirmed the drone strike. Haidar Khan, who owns the pine nut fields, said about 150 workers were there for harvesting, with some still missing as well as the confirmed dead and injured.
At least 48 people have been killed and dozens more wounded in two separate attacks in Afghanistan – one at a campaign rally by President Ashraf Ghani and the other in the capital, Kabul. In the first blast on Tuesday, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle targeted the rally by Ghani, who is reported to be safe and unharmed.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for a car bomb explosion that rocked the Afghan capital Kabul on Monday, killing at least five people and wounding dozens more and shaking windows and doors in houses several kilometers away from the blast. The explosion came as a senior U.S. diplomat was visiting Kabul to brief Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on a draft peace accord reached with the insurgents that could see thousands of U.S. troops withdrawn from Afghanistan.
An explosion at a wedding hall in the city of Kabul has killed 63 people and wounded 182, according to Nasrat Rahimi, spokesperson for the Afghanistan Ministry of Interior Affairs. The Islamic State’s arm in Afghanistan claimed responsibility for the attack, The Associated Press reported. The Taliban released a statement shortly after the explosion condemning the bombing and denying any involvement.
Taliban officials and senior Afghan political leaders met in Moscow on Tuesday for peace talks, despite objections from Afghanistan’s government, which criticized the meeting as undermining its legitimacy.
Tuesday’s talks were attended by around 70 political and social leaders from Afghanistan, among them former president Hamid Karzai, who said they hoped it could build trust and lay a foundation for a future political settlement that might help end the war. Members of Afghanistan’s U.S-backed government, led by President Ashraf Ghani, refused to attend the talks on the grounds that it will only engage in direct talks with the Taliban, and not alongside other Afghan political actors.
After more than 17 years of fighting and 2,248 American troop deaths, negotiators for the United States and Taliban reached “agreements in principle” on a possible peace deal that would end the longest war in US history, a top American envoy said Monday. In exchange for US troop withdrawals, the Taliban committed to ensure the country never becomes a haven for terrorists, as it was for al Qaeda in the years leading to the 9/11 attacks.
Dozens of Afghan security personnel were killed by Taliban militants who overran a military intelligence base near Kabul, officials have confirmed. Insurgents blew their way into the base using a car bomb before opening fire. Some reports put the toll at over 100. It is one of the deadliest attacks on the secret service and follows a string of battlefield setbacks for the army. Monday’s attack on the National Directorate for Security (NDS) base in central Wardak province came hours before the Taliban held another round of peace talks with US diplomats in Qatar.
The gunmen who opened fire on guests at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul have been killed by Afghan special forces, putting an end to the ordeal, which began Saturday night. The Taliban took responsibility for the attack, which left at least 18 dead, with unconfirmed local reports putting the death toll at 43.
An hours-long gun and suicide attack on a Kabul government compound killed at least 43 people, the health ministry said on Tuesday, making it one of the deadliest assaults on the Afghan capital this year. Another 10 people were wounded in Monday’s massacre on a site where the ministry of public works and an office that handles pensions and benefits for war veterans are located, spokesman Waheed Majroh said.