Download the app and get the day’s most important stories.

May 18, 2021 | Via USA Today

Biden Expresses Support for Israel, Gaza Cease-Fire

In a call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday, President Joe Biden “expressed his support for a cease-fire,” according to a White House readout of the conversation. The shift came after 29 Democratic and independent senators issued a joint statement on the issue earlier Monday. At least 200 Palestinians have been killed in a week of airstrikes, including 59 children and 35 women.

May 18, 2021 | Via BBC

Migrants Reach Spain’s Ceuta Enclave in Record Numbers

At least 6,000 migrants have reached Spain’s Ceuta enclave from neighbouring Morocco, a record number over a single day, Spanish officials say. They say the migrants – who include about 1,500 minors – either swam around the border fences that jut out into the sea or walked across at low tide. They are said to be mostly from Morocco. Spain says it has already sent some 2,700 back – but not the minors.

May 18, 2021 | Via Al Jazeera

21 Dead, Many Missing as Cyclone Tauktae Batters COVID-Hit India

At least 21 people have been killed and nearly 100 others missing after a monster cyclone slammed into western India, compounding the misery for millions of others who are enduring a devastating coronavirus surge. Hundreds of thousands of people were without power after Cyclone Tauktae, one of a growing number of increasingly severe storms in the Arabian Sea blamed on climate change, hammered the Gujarat coast on Monday evening.

May 18, 2021 | Via USA News

Biden to Pitch his $174 Billion Electric Vehicle Plan

President Joe Biden will make the case for his $174 billion electric vehicle plan on Tuesday, calling for government grants for new battery production facilities during a visit to a Ford Motor electric vehicle plant in Michigan. He will also rule out consumer incentives for high-priced electric luxury models, according to a White House fact sheet reviewed by Reuters.

May 18, 2021 | Via Sky News

Shark Kills Surfer in Australia’s ‘First Fatal Attack of the Year’

A man has been killed in a shark attack off the coast of Australia, in what is thought to be the country’s first fatal attack of the year. Tuncurry beach and nearby Forster Main Beach have been closed, and police have said they are working with government authorities to identify the species of shark. Eight people were killed by shark attacks in Australia last year.

May 2021
M T W T F S S
« Apr   Jun »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31